Please note, each student is responsible for having international coverage for health insurance for participation on the IFP. Renters insurance is not required, but it is highly recommended.
International Travel Health Insurance
For New School students, the New School’s health insurance (Aetna) covers international travel to all 2017 IFP sites with the exception of Cuba. Individuals participating in the Cuba IFP will have to make the necessary health insurance accommodations with their FCC.
Students from outside the New School may purchase travel health insurance independently or possibly through their home institution. For IFP students who need to obtain international travel health insurance, then the New York International Group Inc. is your best option.
- If the IFP participant is a U.S. citizen:
Patriot International is a plan providing international travel health insurance for U.S. citizens who travel overseas for a minimum of 5 days up to 12 months and can be renewed for a maximum of 24 months. Plan benefits include medical evacuation, repatriation, trip cancellation, lost baggage, accidental death and dismemberment and choice of deductible and policy limits.
- If the IFP participant has nationality outside of the U.S.:
Patriot America covers all nationalities, except U.S. citizens who travel outside of their country of citizenship from a minimum of 5 days up to 12 months and can be renewed for a maximum of 24 months. This international travel and health insurance plan benefits include medical, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, trip cancellation, loss of luggage, accidental death and dismemberment and choice of deductible and policy limits.
Contact New York International Group Inc. directly with any further questions:
New York International Group
The Empire State Building
350 Fifth Avenue, 59th Floor
New York, NY 10118
Tel: 212.268-8520 OR: 800.804.5763
For IFP participants looking to secure renter’s insurance, Travelers offers great coverage based on their years of experience as well as individual agents available for their clients.
- Travelers’ Renters Personal Property Coverage provides protection for your furniture and personal possessions – at home or away from home – against damage from such hazards as fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, explosion, smoke, vandalism, and plumbing leakage. A renter’s policy also protects your property against practically every type of theft loss in your apartment or anywhere in the world.
- You determine the value of your property and the renters premium is based on this amount. An independent agent or Travelers representative can help you if you have questions as to the amount of personal property coverage that’s right for you. Or, you can use their Personal Property Worksheet if you’d like to figure it out on your own.
- Based on the chosen deductible and the total amount being covered (Travelers requires a $15,000 minimum in coverage for personal property, in $500 increments), IFP participants can expect to pay around $20/month.
- Besides calling (1-888-379-9136), you can get a quote online.
For tips and more information regarding renter’s insurance, see: 8 Questions You Must Ask Before Buying Renters’ Insurance.